Given our talk about reducing waste last night I am recycling this blog post as a final reminder about the 350.org International Day of Climate Action coming up this Saturday the 24th of Oct.
On Saturday there are a number of events being held around Brisbane. These events are just a few of more than 4,300 (and climbing) events being held in 171 countries around the globe calling for:
- a fair and effective climate treaty to stabilise atmospheric CO2 at less than 350ppm (parts per million)
– everyone to play their part in reaching a safe climate and a just world.
Here are some of the main events in Brisbane:
On the west side of town:
Sustainable Jamborees' 350.org event
2 - 5pm, Sat 24 October, Indooroopilly Library
ABC of Carbon; and
The Age of Stupid film
At Indooroopilly, join us to hear author Ken Hickson give a short talk about the ABC of Carbon followed by a showing of 'The Age of Stupid' (1.5 hrs).
RSVP to Ngaire, firstname.lastname@example.org by Thu 22 Oct.
Earlier on the day, Ken will also sign copies of his new book from 11.30am – 12.30pm, Sat 24 October at the Angus & Robertson book store, Mt Ommaney Shopping Centre.
Events in Central Brisbane:
350 Ultimatum 11am – 1pm
350 frisbees thrown to the beat of 350 drums!
11am – 1pm at the West End Markets, Davies Park
Come down to the markets and join in an amazing celebration of drums and ultimate Frisbee – feel free to bring your own disc, drum or shaker and join in!
New Farm Park 3pm – 5pm
Come to New Farm Park for the culmination of the day's events, and a major chance to generate media coverage – so bring everyone! Be there from 3pm-5pm to enjoy stilt walkers and a circus performance and to be a part of making a daisy chain of messages to send to Canberra. We will have a Very Special Guest arriving by city cat at 3.22pm. We look forward to seeing you there!
Location within New Farm Park: Near the river and close to the Powerhouse.
> GIANT 350 DAISY CHAIN – We'll be writing our climate messages to Kevin Rudd on 'daisy' strips. All messages will be joined together into a giant chain calling for fair and effective global action for our climate.
Other local events include:
- Giant '350' sign in plants & flowers at the Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens, 10am-1pm
- Bell ringing in Bardon at 371 Simpson's Road, Bardon, at 12pm Saturday 24th
- GRIFFITH Climate Action Day on Thursday 22nd, 11am - 4pm Nathan Campus Griffith University
- Global Change Institute UQ - *HIT THE SWITCH & POWER DOWN* Encouraging staff and students at the University of Queensland to turn off all non-essential electrical equipment at the wall switch when they go home for the weekend on the 23rd October.
Saturday's events represent one of our best (and final) chances to make our voices heard before Copenhagen, so make sure you get along to one (or more) events and show your support for a safe climate.